Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 21, 2009

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/149807/Distressed-OFWs-in-Jeddah-get-surprise-gifts-from-birthday-celebrator

Distressed OFWs in Jeddah get surprise gifts from birthday celebrator
RONALDO CONCHA, GMANews.TV

02/21/2009 03:06 PM
Email this Email the Editor Print
ShareThis
JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia – Distressed OFWs currently staying inside the Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah got a pleasant surprise recently when a concerned Filipina celebrated her birthday with them, it was learned on Saturday.

Welfare officer Romeo Pablo of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) said the woman asked to celebrate her birthday with the distressed OFWs to share with them food and other personal gifts.

"As far as I remember it was the first time an overseas Filipino worker celebrated her birthday party with the less fortunate OFWs. Her style is different, not all people will celebrate a birthday like she did," Pablo said.

The celebrator, who requested not to be named, brought a variety of food and assorted goods, medicines and sacks of rice to more than 50 distressed OFWs staying in the OWWA’s Filipino Workers Resource Center inside the consulate’s compound.

Pablo said the celebrator also organized some parlor games, during which she gave cash prizes to the winners and she personally served food to the wards."Everybody was really happy with what she did. We are happy that there are people like her who are doing this to lift us in high spirits" said Jennebel, one of the distressed.

The celebrator told GMANews.TV that she is very happy when she shares her blessings and feel a sense of fulfillment when she can make people happy."Instead of throwing lavish party I decided to share my blessings to my less fortunate kababayan so I asked my friends to buy anything for the distressed instead of buying gifts for me.

I asked the caterer to prepare a variety of food and we went to the consulate and celebrated my birthday," she said."For me sharing our blessings is one of the important things to do. God has been good to me and I want to share his kindness with others" she said. - GMANews.TV

No comments: